About Me

My photo
Hi. You found me. Thanks for clicking over! Sit and stay awhile..... This is the view from my window... As I move around my little valley I call 'home,' I've had many different views & this is the one that I keep coming back to.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

When I'm old.....

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
James 1:2-4

Having read James many times before, I finally read this passage and saw that it is really just a fancy way of the old saying that anything hard that you must endure is a way to 'build character.'

In response to complaints about frustrating or unfair things in a child's life, many times adults say that it is building character. Of course, this response is usually met with sighs and more complaints by the frustrated child.

However, after reading, reflecting, and hearing someone's thoughts on this very passage, I find that I have a new understanding.

Instead of responding in childish ways, I can respond in a different manner.
When responding to trials, I have the choice to either respond by relying on God, or I can become 1) resentful, 2) retaliatory, or 3) resigned.

Do I want to endure this process at the present moment?

No, not always.

But willl I endure?

Yes.


In light of the end result, I seek to endure, striving for patience and perseverance. For I want God to produce stability and spiritual maturity in my life.
Therefore, I endure through the present and temporal trials to receive the future and eternal results.

Also of great importance is the first part of verse two, 'Consider it pure joy,' or 'Count it all joy' in another version. We are to welcome, embrace, and find joy in times of trial and tribulation; as we struggle in facing trials, we are brought closer to God in a more meaningful relationship and intertwined existence.


So when I'm old, this is what I will tell people younger than me. Not only do trials simply 'build character,' it is written in the Bible, God's personal words to humans, that trials produce a rooted, established, and mature life in Christ.






I can count a million times
People asking me how
I can praise You
with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You

Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings
You glory And I know there'll
be days When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to
praise You Jesus, bring the rain

I am yours regardless of the clouds that may loom above
because you are much greater than my pain
you who made a way for me
suffering your destiny
so tell me whats a little rain


Holy, holy, holy
Holy, holy, holy
is the lord God almighty
is the lord God almighty
I'm forever singing

No comments:

Post a Comment